Bibliography of works by and about Louise Jopling
(This is a work in progress – please check back for updates)
- 'Art Exhibitions,' Times (21 April 1891): 13.
- 'The Corinthian Gallery.'Era (13 June 1869): 7.
- 'The Dudley Exhibition.'Times (2 December 1875): 4.
- 'Old Bond Street Gallery. Spring Exhibition.'Art Journal, 99 (March 1870): 88.
- 'The Winter Exhibition in Old Bond-Street.' Morning Post (21 October 1870): 3.
- 'Exhibition of the Royal Academy.'The Times (5 June 1872): 6.
- 'Exhibition of the Royal Academy.'The Times (2 May 1874): 12.
- 'The Royal Academy. Third Notice.'The Times (1 July 1874): 5.
- 'The Royal Academy.Third Notice.'Athenaeum(6 June 1896): 752.
- Wilde, Oscar. 'Helena in Troas,'Dramatic Review (22 May 1886): 161-2.
Published works by Louise Jopling:
- Jopling, Louise. 'Notes.' Art Amateur, 26: 2 (1892): 47.
- ______. 'A Talk With Those Who Wish to Become Artists.' Young Gentlewoman, 1 (December 1892): 1-4.
- ______. 'What about Dress Reform for Men?' Answers (9 June 1894): [page number missing]
- ______. 'Useful hints for the Art Student.' Art Amateur, 37: 1 (1897): 5.
- ______. 'Time Studies.' Art Amateur, 36: 5 (1897): 114.
- ______. 'Occupations for Gentlewomen. II - Painting.' Atalanta, 8: 88 (January 1895): 221-23.
- Jopling, Louise. Twenty Years of My Life 1867 to 1887. London: John Lane, 1925.
- ______. Hints to Amateurs (later retitled Hints to Students and Amateurs). London: Chapman and Hall, 1891.
- ______. 'On the Education of the Artistic Faculty' (1903) in 'Education and Professions,' McKenna, Ethel, ed. The Women's Library, 6 vols. London: Chapman & Hall, 1903-12, 1: 102-72.
- Romer (Jopling), Louise. 'Lux e Tenebris.'Gentleman'sMagazine (2 April 1869): 549-50.
- ______. Poems. London: Elkin Matthews, 1913.
- The Tête a Tête Bridge
- Jopling, Louise. Two Much Alike: An Entirely Original Comedy in Two Acts [DATE]
- Mrs Verey's Husband (1922)
- Baldry, A.L. 'Private Schools of Art: No.1. The Schools of Mr. W. J. Donne and Mrs.Jopling.' Studio, 7 (February 1896): 43-6.
- 'Chats with Celebrities. Mrs Jopling at the New Art School.' Hearth & Home, 2 (4 June 1891): 69.
- Chester, Austin. 'The Art of Louise Jopling.' Windsor Magazine, 24 (September 1906): 369-84.
- De Grasse Stevens, A. 'Art. Mrs Jopling: A Monograph.' Novel Review, 1: 8 (November 1892): 727-30.
- de Montfort, Patricia. 'Louise Jopling, 'A Gendered Reading of Late Nineteenth-Century Painting,'Woman's Art Journal, 34 (Fall/Winter 2013): 29-41.
- Dolman, Frederick. 'Among the London art students.' Windsor Magazine, 10 (June 1899): 97-102.
- F.M.G. 'Famous Women. Lady Artists at Home. Mrs Louise Jopling.' Ludgate Monthly, 5 (May 1893): 197-205.
- Harmsworth, Alfred C. 'What Shall I Be.' Young Folks' Paper (24 September 1887): 203.
- 'Interview of the week. Mrs Jopling.' Ladies Gazette (21 November 1896): 20-22.
- 'Interview. Mrs Jopling-Rowe.' Women's Penny Paper, 7 (8 December 1888): 3.
- 'Interviews with Notable People. XIV Mrs Jopling Rowe.' The Throne (17 August 1907): 232.
- 'Mrs Jopling.' Girl's Own Paper (5 July 1902): 629-30.
- 'Mrs. Louise Jopling.' Strand Magazine, 16: 92 (August 1898): 196.
- 'Mrs Jopling-Rowe.' Le Follet: Journal du Grande Monde, Fashion, Polite Literature (February 1895): 11.
- 'Mrs Jopling-Rowe in her Studio.' Hearth and Home (21 February 1895): 540.
- 'Lady Artists. Mrs Jopling-Rowe. On Art Schools and Art Education for Women.' The Spinning Wheel (8 December 1894): 245.
- 'In a Lady's Atelier: A Call on Mrs Jopling.'Pall Mall Gazette (5 November 1890): 7.
- 'The Ladies'Corner. A Visit to Mrs Jopling's Art School.' Pall Mall Gazette (3 April 1890): 3.
- Lady Correspondent, By A, 'Pretty Dresses at the Premiere.' Pall Mall Gazette (11 November 1892): 3.
- 'The Ladies'Gallery.'Myra's Journal of Dress and Fashion (1 May 1890): 10.
- 'London Drawing-Rooms and their Chatelaines. Mrs Jopling's.' Lady's World (August 1887): 340-42.
- Meynell, Wilfred. 'Our Living Artists. Louise Jopling.' Magazine of Art, 3: 8 (1880): 304-308.
- Miller, Florence Fenwick. 'Notes' (Ladies' Page), Illustrated London News (23 January 1897): 126.
- Praeger, Wilfrid. 'Women in Contemporary Art. Mrs Jopling.' Atalanta (March 1892): 325-33.
- 'Rational Costume for Ladies.' Bow Bells (22 May 1896): 510.
- Vyse, Maud J. 'Mrs Jopling's School of Art,' Atalanta (1August 1897): 638-40.
- Baile de Laperrière, Charles, ed.Society of Women Artists Exhibitors 1855-1996. Wilts, UK: Hilmarton Manor Press, 1996.
- Casteras, Susan P. and Denney, Colleen, eds. The Grosvenor Gallery: A Palace of Art in Victorian England. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996.
- Cherry, Deborah. Painting Women: Victorian Women Artists. London: Routledge, 1993.
- ______. Beyond the Frame: Feminism and Visual Culture, Britain 1850-1900 (London and New York: Routledge, 2000.
- Clayton, Ellen C. English Female Artists. 2 vols. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1876.
- Codell, Julie F. The Victorian Artist. Artists' Lifewritings in Britain ca. 1870-1910. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Gaze, Delia, ed. Dictionary of Women Artists. London: Routledge, 1997.
- Layard, G.S. A Great Punch Editor. Being the Life, Letters and Diaries of Shirley Brooks London: Pitman & Sons, 1907.
- Lee, Vernon [Violet Paget]. Vernon Lee's Letters. With a Preface by her Executor [Irene Cooper Willis]. Privately printed, 1937.
- Mackenzie, Tessa, ed. The Art Schools of London: A Description of the Principal Art Schools in the London District. London: Chapman & Hall, 1895.
- Millais, John Guile. The Life and Letters of Sir John Everett Millais, President of the Royal Academy. 2 vols. London: Methuen, 1899.
- Newall, Christopher. The Grosvenor Gallery Exhibitions: Change and Continuity in the Victorian Art World. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 1995.
- Nunn, Pamela Gerrish. Victorian Women Artists. London: Women's Press, 1987.
- Pennell, Joseph and Elizabeth Robins. The Whistler Journal. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1921.
- Praed, Rosa. Affinities: A Romance of Today. 2 vols. London: Richard Bentley, 1885.
- Praed, Rosa and Jopling, Louise. Affinities: A Romance of Today. A Drama in 3 Acts Adapted from Mrs Campbell Praed's Novel" "Affinities." London: Richard Bentley, 1885.
- Slatkin, Wendy. The Voices of Women Artists. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- Surtees, Virginia, Sir Coutts Lindsay 1824-1913. Norwich: Michael Russell, 1993.
Websites and databases
- The Correspondence of James McNeill Whistler, 1855-1903, edited by Margaret F. MacDonald, Patricia de Montfort and Nigel Thorp. University of Glasgow. (letters cited by edition record number, e.g., GUW #02593).
- Ellen Terry and Edith Craig Database. A Guide to the Papers from Smallhythe Place. University of Hull.